Rex B

Jim
I had run across references to a Jet 1024PY, which is probably
what you have. It's very similar, but there are differences. Looks
like the Jet may have been produced from the 1960's at least through the
1980s, so the differences may well be generational.
By the way, what's that machine behind it?

Things I'd like to know obout this Enco:

What is the spindle taper?
How do you change the belts (disassembly of headstock). Looks like
original belts, obviously distressed, B29 & B32 sizes.
Does it have power crossfeed? (Mine is not powered up yet)
There is a big knurled knob at the top of the headstock that appears to
reverse leadscrew direction, like a tumble reverse. Is that what it is?

Gloat: I got this machine complete with bench, steady, 4-jaw, 3jaw,
faceplate, Hardinge Speed closer, Aloris QCTP (plus original turret
post), live, dead, & bull centers, metric change gears, plus some
miscellaneous tooling, all for $600.

They have other machine tools which I'll list in a separate post in case
anyone is interested.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Jim Stewart wrote:
Rex wrote:

Just acquired an Enco 1024 Lathe, ca 1986.
Looks like a nice machine. 10x24, several chucks, steady, Aloris,
bench etc.
I'd like to get a manual on it, but doubt Enco will be helpful here.
Any of you have this machine, and can offer advice as to weaknesses,
recommended upgrades etc?

Does it look the same as my Jet 1024?

http://www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/lathe.jpg

If so, I can tell you it's a decent machine. It's
not a Monarch EE, but it gets the job done. I
made this part with it yesterday:

http://www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/scopetube.jpg

It's a custom eyepiece tube for my daughter's
microscope. It adapts a modern Nikon 10x eyepiece
to her 50 year old Wild-Heerbrugg scope.

Metric threads, boring, groving, turning. It took
me the better part of an hour to figure out how
to rearrange the geartrain for metric, but it did
work fine once I got it.

The lathe electrics were crap and ended up in the
recycle bin. I installed a Leason 1 hp 3 phase
motor and a Hitachi 1hp VFD. An excellent investment.

I have a manual, but it doesn't say much. I don't
remember where I got it.