Joe

John Rumm wrote:
Stefek Zaba wrote:

There is NO requirement to earth a kitchen sink. The IEE On-Site guide
goes so far as to use almost exactly those words - i.e. it doesn't
just not mention sinks under 'things wot must be earthed'; after that
list, it gives another list of 'things wot you might think must be
earthed but for which there ain't no such requirement'. And kitchen
sinks is on that second list.

For the record: Page 26, section 4.6 (refers to regulation 471-08-01)

There is no specific requirements in BS7671 to supplementary bond the
following

Kitchen pipes, sinks, or draining boards

metal furniture in kitchens

metal pipes and and wash hand basins in domestic locations
other than bathrooms

Nonetheless, kitchen sink bonding is being taught to practicing
electricians, probably by NICEIC et al.

A few months ago, I was one of those who asked about this, as I
was having a kitchen installed and was told it was a requirement.
Having asked here and got opinions from people I trust (!), I
said I wasn't interested in having it done. The fitter then said
he'd quote a private price, not the official one for the kitchen
supply company.

I bought an On Site Guide, and left it laying around. The fitter
pointed out it said 2004 and these were new regulations. I
confirmed this edition was the one on the IEE website. We left
it at that. My wife still wasn't sure I was right.

Eventually the fitter did the work anyway, at no cost, as he said
he would not get the work signed off by his visiting inspector
if he didn't. He was clearly aware that the work was unnecessary
in principle but necessary from the point of view of his getting
paid.

Sure enough, when the electrician arrived to check some moved
sockets, he looked for the bonding. Prompted by the fitter, he
told me it was necessary for safety. One assumes that the
'self-certifying' organisations are pushing this kind of thing
to increase profits from the unwary. It doesn't say much for
their integrity.