Lawrence Wasserman

In article 2005051513181916807%ericblair@pillarboxcom,
Eric wrote:
I have to make an interior window ledge that is 13.5 feet long. I am
using Peruvian Walnut, and the longest boards I can find are 9ft. So..
I need to glue the pieces together. I intend to do this by adding two
pieces to either end of the main piece. I have never glued end grain to
end grain before and wondered if there is anything I should be wary of.
I could use Titebond or Gorilla glue, is there any advantage to one
over the other?

Other than my biggest issue might be finding bar clamp long enough. I
have the Rockler clamps and I am not sure they can be extended or used
with longer bars.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

eric.

Perhaps with your framing strength will not be an issue, but If I were
doing it, I would either use a scarf or half-lap joint, either one
would be plenty strong and eliminate concern of weak eng grain glue
up.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland