Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 May 2005 00:48:22 -0700, the inscrutable "Harold and Susan
Vordos" spake:

"jim rozen" wrote in message
snip----

Aside from headstock bearings, I would say that the crossfeed screw
is the single biggest issue that will make a decent lathe into
a dog, or turn a disaster of a machine into a tolerably useable
tool.

Jim

That's a bit of a touchy subject with me at this point in time as well.
I'm detecting a .0002" out of round condition on turns of late. I realize
it's not much, but any at all is more than I care to have. I searched for
bearings and was shocked to find a new main bearing for the Graziano can be
had for a paltry sum of only $1,600. There's a second bearing farther back

There simply HAS to be an alternative source. Tried SKF?

on the spindle that would likely be wise to replace as well, but it's not
nearly as expensive. Only several hundred dollars. One hell of a shocker
when you consider I paid only $4600 for the machine back in '67. Speaks
volumes about the decline in the American dollar. Considering I now own a
precision grinder, I'll likely limp by with the old bearings, grinding
anything of importance. That's assuming I ever get the house finished and
actually start using the shop, that is. :-)

Yeah, you have to move OUT of the shop before using it to any degree,
huh? LOL!

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -