jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

That's a bit of a touchy subject with me at this point in time as well.
I'm detecting a .0002" out of round condition on turns of late. I realize
it's not much, but any at all is more than I care to have. I searched for
bearings and was shocked to find a new main bearing for the Graziano can be
had for a paltry sum of only $1,600. There's a second bearing farther back
on the spindle that would likely be wise to replace as well, but it's not
nearly as expensive. Only several hundred dollars. One hell of a shocker
when you consider I paid only $4600 for the machine back in '67. Speaks
volumes about the decline in the American dollar. Considering I now own a
precision grinder, I'll likely limp by with the old bearings, grinding
anything of importance. That's assuming I ever get the house finished and
actually start using the shop, that is. :-)

If you have the bearing number, contact Alpine Bearing in Boston.
They have a website.

Indeed. Gunner's politics may be highly suspect g but he's dead
right on this one, bearings come at all different prices that range from
full retail to rock-bottom wholesale - and they are the same bearings.

I found that out when I purchased abec-7 bearings to re-do and M
head a few years ago. I went to new hampshire ball bearing, but
the folks who own the place I worked at night had an excellent
working relationship with them - and I was able to purchase through
them.

Jim

Jim

please reply to: