Thanks for the input, Rich.

Well, I went out and ran the garage door opener several times, trying
to see if there was a place where the wheels were binding. After
several tries, I heard a loud "snap" and a puff of smoke came out of
the opener. Looks like I ran it one too many times. It still
functions, but I smell smoke when I run it. Never a good sign. Drat
and double drat.

-Fleemo

Sounds like the sun light is washing out the infrared beams. Try
swapping the two photo-cells. One is a transmitter & one is a receiver,
so this usually solves the problem.

The smoke was probably from the capacitor. Once it cools down the
opener may no longer work, motor will just buzz. Even if it keeps
working the cap should be changed.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com