Andy

Ray wrote:
The previous owner of my home burried some Romex to power up a pool

pump and
he ran a branch to a receptacle for a non existent sheded off this

provide a receptacle to a non existent shed.

I like to do some trenching in my yard to run conduit to a workshop

that I
built but want to avoid the existing romex.

Is there a way/device to help me find the burried romex. I tried a

metal
detector and after adjusting the sensitivity it still picks up a lot

of
stray stuff in my yard and does not give me a clear picture of the

location
of the romex.

Thanks

Andy writes:

I haven't tried this, but I've heard of others who tried it....

Into the receptacle, plug a hair dryer or electric drill and have your
wife or somebody run it..... this puts a LOT of static on the power
line.

Use a little transistor radio to probe around in the vicinity of where
you think the underground feeded might be..... The feeder will be
radiating a lot of interference, and you might be able to track it
this way......

If you have success, please let us know about it on this group. Thanks.

Andy