Vertigo

Default Monitor gets power, but displays nothing

hey there. found a 19" Logix monitor the other day, with vga cable cut.
when i plugged it in to see if it even worked, it displayed a no signal
input screen, so good start, i thought! decided to remove the cable
entirely from the tube and mainboard, so i could splice it with another
spare vga cable.

2 hours later, my mutant cable was done, but on plugging it back in,
and attaching to a laptop, nothing but a gray glow appeared on screen.
im pretty sure i didnt touch anything else, so could my dodgy cable
splicing have killed the monitor? i taped every wire in electrical
tape, and was pretty careful doing it.

i get the feeling its nothing to do with the cable, but at the same
time dont understand why its not displaying the no signal input screen.
i even unplugged the cable from the tube/mainboard again, but still
displays nothing but the glow.

ideas?