Odinn

Eric wrote:
I have to make an interior window ledge that is 13.5 feet long. I am
using Peruvian Walnut, and the longest boards I can find are 9ft. So.. I
need to glue the pieces together. I intend to do this by adding two
pieces to either end of the main piece. I have never glued end grain to
end grain before and wondered if there is anything I should be wary of.
I could use Titebond or Gorilla glue, is there any advantage to one
over the other?

Other than my biggest issue might be finding bar clamp long enough. I
have the Rockler clamps and I am not sure they can be extended or used
with longer bars.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

Finger, dowel, half lap, spline, anything except a straight end grain
butt joint. As for the clamping, clamp the board on either side of the
joint with a small clamp, then run a pipe clamp from the clamp on one
side of the joint to the clamp on the other side of the joint.

My ascii art ain't too good, maybe you can make sense from it.

|-------------------|-- (pipe clamp)
------|-------+---------|------
| (joint) |
^ ^
(clamp) (clamp)

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net