Richard Sterry

Default Problems sharpening chisels

jacob wrote:
If the stone is too fine you need a coarser stone - seems obvious to
me.

Yup - dealt with that , (see separate posting).

For grinding I use either a belt sander with 60 grit, or an angle
grinder with a grinding wheel not a cutting wheel.
I then hone on a stone with bike oil thinned a bit with white spirit.
The stone is 30 years or more old bought from Woolworths for 5 bob or
something. I somtimes use a honing guide to get the angle perfect but
then do it by eye for re-touching. The most important thing with an
oil stone (after getting the grade right) is to wipe it clean
immediately after using it and to put the lid back on. Then It will
never clog up or need cleaning.

The problem for me is that I need to remove the skill element from this
process, because basically I don't possess any. Someone who 'has the knack',
could probably do a better job than I could, just using the back doorstep
asa stone!

Rick