John Rumm

Brian wrote:

OK - I've decided that the terminal blocks aren't a good enough solution so
I've decided they must come out. Some were contained behind plasterboard,
which has meant a messy pain in the a*** to expose them, but I guess you
live and learn.

I'm going to go and buy a crimping kit but I don't fancy mucking around with
heatshrink wrap (I haven't got a soldering iron and the terminal blocks I'm
replacing are in awkward positions). Will good electrical tape do as good a
job?

I find heatshrink is quicker and easier than tape, a very small
precision blowtorch works very well for shrinking it ;-)

(Not sure on what the official line is on using tape, I have in the past
used it (as I expect has everyone else ;-), but I have never really
liked it!)

One other question - is there any harm in my using 4mm core cable in what
may be a 2.5mm core radial system?

No electrical or regs problem using an overrated cable, however a future
maintainer may make an assumption that the whole circuit is in 4mm sq
and up the fuse/mcb to 30A which won't be good for the 2.5mm sections.
You may also find that 4mm sq is harder to work with in the confines of
back boxes etc.

--
Cheers,

John.