ATP*

"RogerN" wrote in message
.net...

I currently have an approximate 1400 sq ft home with propane heat and
water
heater, and window AC units. Last winter I spent over $1200 on propane.
have heard that electric heat is now cheaper than propane heat. My large
window AC unit went out and I'm trying to decide between replacing the
window unit or switching my propane heater to an all electric heat &
central
air system.

Anyone know ballpark pricing for an electric heat & a.c. unit?

Should I be looking for a heat pump system?

It all comes down to the cost/btu (usually shown as the cost per million
BTU) in your area for different fuel sources. Heat pumps make electric heat
far more cost effective than straight resistance heat in moderate climates.
Heat pumps have a "coefficient of performance". That measure is a comparison
to straight resistance. It varies depending on outside temp. Don't get
bamboozled by the great efficiency of heat pumps, even if the C.O.P. is 4,
if your electricity costs 8 times as much as gas, you're still paying twice
as much. When it gets really cold you're on straight resistance heat. Using
the heat pump for A/C is obviously an added benefit. I live in NY where heat
pumps or propane would both be insane choices. Even natural gas at the
residential rate is a bit pricey if you have a large house. I buy oil C.O.D.
and do my own maintenance. In a warm place like Virginia with lower electric
rates, running a heat pump is not a bad deal.

Any brand names I should look at or stay away from?

Also, I currently have a 100Amp breaker box and it is located on the east
side of my house. My utility room where the heating system and water
heater
is is on the west side of the house. I would like to leave the existing
box
and wiring alone and just install a new breaker box in the utility room
for
heat, A.C., and hot water. Is this (having 2 separate breaker boxes)
do-able or would I have to upgrade my existing box and run everything
through it?

Thanks!