Brian

Default Terminal blocks

I've just fitted some new sockets in a bedroom. The cable was just a little
too short to reach the socket, so I had to extend it using a few terminal
blocks (chocolate block) and some spare cable.

Trouble is, I used a 15 amp terminator block. I've got a couple of
questions:

- I seem to recall that 30 amp should be used (FWIW I've no reason to think
my house is anything other than a standard ring main). But will I be OK with
15 amp?

- comparing 15 amp and 30 amp terminal blocks side by side, the 15 amp
appears to have MORE metal than the 30 amp. I guess 30amp is like that to
allow fatter cables in, but surely this means I'll be OK with a 15amp?

- In another bedroom, I had to chisel out the ring main cable from a
concrete wall. This involved accidentally baring the cable in parts so I
decided to cut it off from the highest point I could and apply new cable. To
join old + new cable, I used 30 amp terminal blocks but over tightened some
so the metal cracked. The cables seemed to be fixed tight so I didn't worry.
Should I have?