Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:51:00 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm guessing that the metal frame of a 100kVA gen would make good
connection with earth without any spike.

Not when the genny is built into the sound proof back of a truck with
nice big rubber tyres between the chassis and the ground...

Years ago when I worked on large OBs with gennys large enough to run
several scanners with air-con, they *did* sink an earth rod.

Conversely I have never seen a generator in use without an earth spike
out at the generator, it might just be parked on but it's always
there.

But export mains to remotes perhaps a mile away using a multicores -
and joints - which had mains and several video and audio circuits
all in one. Makes I laugh at the how do I get power to my shed type
questions. ;-)

All those exported feeds are RCD protected and I think in the case of
MkVII interlocked, no mains on the cable unless there is a box on the
end.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail