Dave Plowman (News)

In article fu5he.10093$D91.3759@fed1read01,
Bill Jeffrey wrote:
I've tried this (coupling to the phone line) a couple times, without
real good luck. The problem I experienced is that the outgoing audio is
MUCH louder than the incoming audio. Kinda makes sense, since the
outgoing audio will undergo line loss before it get to the other end,
whereas the incoming audio has already undergone that loss.

You need a TBU - telephone balance unit - to correct this properly.
They're used to connect a telephone line to a broadcast sound mixing desk
- etc. Basically, a hybrid transformer or electronic equivalent. This
convert the two wire telephone circuit to a four wire so you can adjust in
and out levels, IIRC.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.