Bruce Barnett

"Andy" writes:

Thanks for the review - I was looking seriously at that too. I have an
old combination square that works and is square, but the ends of the
ruler don't end exactly at the 0" mark. I've been thinking about
getting the 4" double square - do you like that? Has anyone used the
"Veritas Sliding Square" from LV? That looks nice too.

I got the 4" double square on sale - I think from Lee Valley.
As I recall - it was under $20. It's currently $29

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42936,42945

It's handier than I thought. It's small enough you can put it in a
pocket. It's great for setting the height of a router bit or table
saw, or as a depth gage. Of you need a 90 degree square for setting a
table saw, it's great because the length of the ruler doesn't
interfer with the teeth of the blade. Or use it for a depth measurement.

Checking Google - the Starrett is about $44. The 6" comes with a
bubble level. I also just noticed the Starrett 2 1/2" double square
for $67, which can have a 10 degree adjustment for dovetails.
I haven't seen that it a catalog.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/B453A.htm

One of the reaons I returned the Woodcraft combo is that after using
the LV, the Woodcraft "sale" item was obviously junk.