Erik G

Actually, the stones make the carbide edges duller...the purpose is to
take the sharp edges off very evenly, making the carbide more durable
in heavy cutting operations...but i'm still inclined to agree with you
that it's a far from brilliant process. In most instances it actually
works, though.

Gunner wrote:
On 11 May 2005 14:19:34 -0700, "Erik G" wrote:

Hello,

The shop that I work at has special order carbide inserts, and due

heavy feed to speed ratios on our machines, we have found it

necessary
to hone the inserts. To keep them in tolerance (.002 hone) we have

put
them in a tumbler with some stones and silicon carbide sludge...

this
method because its worked for us on lighter hones. This time

though,
the inserts are all chipping to hell! I tried putting even one

piece
at a time to fix it in case they were bumping each other, no help.

Now I am getting the blame from my boss, and whether it is somehow

my
fault or not, getting the blame is just unacceptable.

Any advice from those experienced in honing carbide??

Thanks,
Erik

So to make the fragile, easily broken pieces of carbide sharper, you
put them in a bouncing box of rocks?

This is a troll, right?

Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming.
A cloud of testosterone makes a **** poor flack shield."
Offbreed