Dave

Mike wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Should an earth spike be used when a generator is used to power class 1
equipment that normally needs an earth? (thinking of safety and ignoring
EMC). I should know the answer to this but can see two sides of the coin
and can't choose between the two.
On one side it would be good to tie the gen and neutral down to Earth,
but on the other side it would seem sensible to let the whole lot float.
.. and how would an RCD cope?
The particular case is using a gen to provide power for an outdoor PA
system (and maybe a band).

Whatever you do, make sure all the mics and guitars have got their own
personal in-line safety isolators.

Too many dead musicians in the past due to poor electrics - of course an
area part pee doesn't cover at all.

That's interesting, can you explain a little more. Do you mean isolating
transformers? (or opto-isolators?) I google'd and came up with isolators
to avoid earth loops but nothing about safety.

Dave