David Pearson

Default Between rafters insulation - cheaper then Celotex?

G'day.

I have a single-storey extension, with a shiny new roof
(the old one was described by the roofer as "a bit ripe").
The old ceiling was a rotten mess, due to the leaks in the
old roof, so I have pulled it all down and chucked it out.

Now I have a room with exposed rafters and sarking, which
I need to insulate before hanging a new ceiling.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I plan to put between-rafters
insulating stuff ... er, between the rafters, and make the
new ceiling out of plasterboard nailed to the rafters.

The roofer recommended Celotex insulating slabs,
but I am a wee bit gobsmacked at how expensive this
stuff is. I am quoted 31 quid + VAT for an 8x2 slab
(8x2 in feet), which works out at over 300 quid for my
3x3 (metres this time, excuse me) room (rafters 40 cm
apart). That is only for 1 layer, and I need a second layer
to meet the building regs! Even worse, I have a second room
to re-ceiling under the new roof. So I am looking at more than
1200 quid to insulate the roof, on top of all the plaster-
board etc.

So, if anyone can help me out with some advice on
cheap, but still good enough, insulation, I will be very
happy.

Regards,
David Pearson
(got a lovely roof, but no money, in Taunton)