Larry Jaques

On 13 May 2005 19:58:34 GMT, the inscrutable
(Chuck Sherwood) spake:

For the purposed of the original poster, he would be well advised to
salvage a sealed compressor from an old air conditioner or
refrigerator, then convert it to a vacuum source per article that both
appeared in Scientific American and the Amateur Scientist's Handbook.

I think its much easier to buy a pump vs make a pump. There
are plenty available. I think the conversions centered around
belt drive AC compressors, which I think are a thing of the past??

Old refrigerator pumps work well for many things and can be had free
around most parts of the country. I see a couple free every week in
the local paper, and the town has just 23k people. One of these days
I'll go get one, pull the pump, and salvage whatever else I can, like
the sheetmetal.

Here are two decent home-made solutions:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/vacuum_pump/

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -