Bradley V. Stone

Default Questions on getting a drainage easement...

I live in a subdivision a little out of town. We all have shared wells
and septic tanks. No storm drains/sewers, etc.

Most hoses are on ravine lots. Ours is not, but it is bordered by a
couple that do.

We have a full basement with a sump pump and in the spring and during
heavy rains it runs quite a bit. A normal spring it will run from thaw
to mid June. Starts out running every 5 minutes, and slows down, during
heavy rains it will run faster, maybe every 20 seconds for a couple
days, then back down to every few minutes, slowing if no more water in a
few weeks.

The water is from tile around the base of the house. The water is
funneled into the sump hole and pumped outside.

I am interested in getting an easement so that I can redirect this water
to the ravine owned by one of the neighbors. In this case I see that we
could use boring equipment (have a friend in the business) to run the
line, not touching the lawns of either neighbor and simply exiting out
in the ravine (which is still the neighbors property).

I asked one neighbor one time and he said "no" because he was worried
about "errosion". He has since built a new house close to the ravine
and is directing all of his gutter water in the same ravine.

My other neighbor is in the process of selling.. so I don't know if now
is the best time to ask for an easement.

Just wondering if there's anything I can do to go "over" them if I need
to, like maybe the county would help.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!