John

"Edwin Spector" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:

Some but not all solenoids can be exchanged. Gas rate is maeasured as
detailed in the gas fitting FAQ The pilot is adjusted be the pilot
adjusting screw on the multifunction
valve.

John, Ed, Geoff,

thanks for the helpful advice. I did find the solenoid advertised
separately, but it costs more expensive than the complete assembly. Best
price was £34 from keeptheheaton.com (.)

I may try swapping the solenoids first, so as not to disturb the gas
integrity. (You can probably tell I'm an elec eng).

Ed, particular thanks for the Gas Fitting FAQ - lots of useful stuff
there.

Now I just need to find the rating of the boiler, to set the correct
pressure/flow rate. I'm not sure if it's visible on the (back) boiler. I
didn't get a manual when I bought the house.

There should be a plate with the boiler details on the appliance. IIRC Baxi
have this on the front of the combustion chamber
Since you are going to need a manometer to set the gas pressure it would be
helpful to measure it "before" swapping the gas valve. This will form a good
basis for the setting after. I realise in your case there isn't the
opportunity if the valve is not opening:-(
I think you will find that swapping the actuator solenoind may disturb the
gas seals anyway so I'd suggest you buy the complete valve. Also but a small
tin of Rocol Gas seal and use it (sparingly) on the joints/threads