Ed Huntress

"wallster" wrote in message
alright all you creative geniuses, put on your thinking caps. Every year
(about this time) i run across discarded lawnmowers. I cant help myself, i
almost always stop and pick them up. Sometimes i get them running and sell
them for some always needed beer money. But alot of the time, the deck is
rotted beyond repair so i'll remove the wheels and engine and hope to use

it
another time. I just have to make something cool using a vertical shaft
engine, the horizontals get all the glory. Besides a home-built generator,
what projects have you folks made using these engines?

My favorite was an inboard motor for a flat-bottomed skiff, which an older
neighbor kid and I put together when I was about 11.

Right-angle, through-hull lower units used to be readily available for
vertical-shaft lawnmower engines. I haven't seen one for 40 years, but maybe
they're still around. I also have seen a couple of similar conversions made
from the lower-units of scrapped outboard motors.

BTW, they're noisy, they vibrate, and you have to keep moving around the
boat to keep the exhaust out of your face. But they're a lot of fun.

--
Ed Huntress