X_HOBBES

"James Bond" wrote in message
... I am currently limited to power hand tools, and
even then I don't have it all (currently no router, for example). But
both budget and expertise level mandate a slow growth of this hobby for
me. As to what I want to do, well for the moment my choice of projects
are being determined by several criteria: cost of materials, available
tools, and practical use. So some of my first projects have been/still
are basic shelving units, simple work benches, etc. Basically, the first
projects are making things that I can use in my little new workshop area.

Great way to start!

Don't go out one day and decide that you're going to buy ALL of the tools
you'll ever need for your woodshop -- you'll probably regret most decisions.
It is far wiser (in my opinion) to purchase one tool at a time and get
familiar with it. As you purchase more tools and build skill with each, you
will learn of new things to look for in future tools. Besides, it will give
you something to put on your wish list for your next shopping experience.
All of a sudden you've become easy to shop for -- HomeDepot gift cards!!!
=-)

As for starter projects, I really do recommend a few woodshop basics (carts
for power tools, assembly table, cabinets and shelves for your tools, etc.).
Also, as you've probably noticed, wood is VERY expensive! Learning can be
costly due to frequent mistakes. I suggest for some of your woodshop
projects -- especially if you're building something that needs to be free of
knots and warps, use MDF -- you can buy a full 4x8 sheet at HomeDepot for
around $20. It's very easy to work with, but you won't learn the
characteristics of wood (expansion, warping, cupping, blade drifts, etc.).
For your real wood projects, if you're trying to get familiar with wood
characteristics without spending a lot of $$$, use pine -- not the
prettiest, but you'll definitely learn how to deal with some
characteristics! Something a bit nicer -- poplar. These materials are
probably cheapest at HomeDepot and Lowes than most other places since they
sell so much of them. A real pleasure to work with -- oak. =-)

I still highly recommend "The Complete Manual of Woodworking" by Albert
Jackson, David Day, and Simon Jennings.

You're off to a great start by querying the great minds on this newsgroup --
most of these folks really know what they're talking about! I learn
something new every day!

Good luck!
X_HOBBES