Tom Kohlman

....as long as we're on the topic, anybody care to speak to 8mm shank vs 1/4?
Former seems to be only available if ordered through Leigh at about $50
premium to the dealer prices that seem to only offer the 1/4" option.
Leigh's site says 8mm is the way to go with 1/2" to 8mm adaptor.

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message
I found that sometimes, the finger bar doesn't always lay flat to the edge
of the wood you plan to cut. Even a 1/32 can make the fit tight. I find
that this can happen when I use a scrap piece of wood that isn't perfectly
flat as a backer. Now, I have a 3/4" 16 ply BB plywood that I use and
replace when needed.

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
I just got my D4 from Lee Valley. I put it together and followed the
instructions and got a pretty good joint on my first try.
I'm just starting out in WW and if I can learn to use it anybody can.
I'm
slowly getting equipment for my shop. Now, if I can only afford to buy

the
wood to make something.

Words to the wise: I normally love mine, but I'm kinda ****ed at it right
now.

Did my usual painstaking set up, and numerous test cuts, then proceeded
cut the half blind drawer ends on 30 drawers only to find out that I now
have to tweak the jig's fingers to get some of the drawer side tails to
fit.
I've probably made a couple of hundred drawers with the damn thing and
that
is the very first time that's ever happened.

Can't find anything that's moved on the jig, material was all batch cut
and
the same dimension, and the router bit is still the same depth, so it's a
mystery to me what happened. Not impossible to recover from, but still a
PITA, and a loss in time, which is money to me.

Moral: even with a fine jig like the Leigh, which should be capable of a
'production type' run for each operation, watch out for Murphy. It is
better
to switch operations occasionally and do a few of each as you go, making
sure the fit remains like the original setup.

Other than this particular incident, the Leigh D4 has been a money maker
and
has paid for itself many times over.

--
www.e-woodshop.net