nemo

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

"Pedge" wrote in message
I've just had my kitchen installed where there were some left over bits

of
shiny faced chipboard used as off cuts.

With this oak coloured shiny chipboard the carpenter cut some of it so

that
I can box in some pipes. One of them had said that I can rough the

surface
a bit with sandpaper and then paint it.

I'm currently doing this with coarse sand paper but how rough does it

have
to be? Do I have to seal it with PVA, use a wood primer/undercoat first

and
then use the kitchen emulsion paint that I am wanting to use?

All in all is this a good idea or is best not to use this type of

material
if I want it painted?

TIA

Two coats of under-coat, any cheap emulsion will do this, and one top coat
of gloss, should be enough to make it look pretty. As long as the surface
is slightly broken, it will take paint. So you don't have to make it to
rough.

If the chipboard is Melamine coated, there is a special primer. It's best to
use this otherwise the paint film can delaminate or bubble.

Nemo.