nemo

"Lobster" wrote in message
I just tried to send back a faulty dimmer switch to Screwfix; supplied
last November as a replacement when the previous one failed. They
declined on the basis that the original purchase was in Feb 2004, ie
more than 12 months ago.

I'm not unduly concerned given the low value of the item, but am still
interested on a point of principle... some weeks ago this was discussed
he if something comes with a 12-month warranty and is replaced, I'm
sure a couple of folk reckoned that the 12-month "clock" restarted with
the supply of the new item. Is that definitely the case?

As I say, not particularly fussed about a £5 dimmer, but I would have
been seriously ****ed off if this had been, say, an expensive power tool.

David

Electronic stuff should last a lot longer than 12 months. If it only lasted
15 months, then there must have been an inherent fault, design or technical,
in it when you bought it. This makes it not "fit for the purpose" under the
Sale of Goods Act and a host of subsequent legislation, mainly brought about
by Esther Rantzen and her various consumer programmes..

Therefore, however much they pretend it is, a company's 12 month guarantee
is not the end of the matter. Case Law derived under the Act indicates that
six years is a reasonable life expectancy for a product.

If Screwfix's conditions of sale try to exclude your statutory rights as a
condition of providing their 12 month guarantee, this Is an offence. Any
attempt to rob a consumer of his/her statutory rights in any way is also
null and void under the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1972.

£5 is £5. Contact your Local Authority's Trading Standards Department for
how to proceed.

Nemo