DaveM

The unit at http://www.omnicronelectronics.com/PC/LIC-1PC.htm is more
appropriate for the OP, according to his stated problem. However, if the OP
has the ability, there is a schematic of such a unit at
http://www.solorb.com/elect/phone/tap. Another one with some good details
at http://www.epanorama.net/documents/t...elerecord.html.
The problem with the cable he bought on Ebay is that since there is no
isolation, one side of the phone line is directly grounded to the computer
case, which will indeed kill the phone line. The phone line must stay
balanced and isolated from ground at all times, otherwise, the telco gets
mighty upset. In fact, if you leave the line in a shorted condition, they
will send a guy out to test your circuit, and if he finds the short exists
inside your house, most likely the service will be disconnected until you
remove the short. And they will charge you for the service incident.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Anyone know how-to make a cable that would plug into my telephone jack
and then into my computer soundcard?

I bought one from EBay and when I plug the cable into my phone line
and then into the soundcard my line
goes dead.

The one you bought probably works fine with an ac-isolated microcassette
recorder with a high impedance microphone input.

One guy mentioned he uses an isolator circuit of some sort to not
short out the line in his device.

Yep, that would be a good idea.

Personally, I'd build such a device with a couple of .1 mfd coupling
capacitors and a 600 ohm to 600 ohm isolation transformer to provide a
balanced input. Total parts cost about $5.00. However, if you need to
buy one then....

http://www.omnicronelectronics.com/analog/LIC-100.htm