billh

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:19:30 -0400, "billh"
wrote:

I bought a cheap Grizzly type chuck and I must admit I did a lot of work
with it and it held quite well although I was no shrinking violet when it
came to tightening the jaws.

I try not to overtighten things (first thing my uncle taught me back
when I was an apprentice saw sharpener) but I can crank things down
with the best of 'em if I have to. Just depends on the tool, and
whether or not it needs to be torqued on.

I have since bought Oneway and really there is
no comparison. Since you can buy different inserts the investment doesn't
die with changing the spindle size.

In what way is it superior? I'm sure it's a better product, but how
is it better?

See below

I don't know your finances but certainly recommend you go the better chuck
route from the start if you can.

I'm financially comfortable, though not weathy, and I'm really
scrimping with the tool and lumber budget to try and get a Unisaw (or
similar giant cabineted beast) into my shop by the end of the summer.
If that was already out of the way, I'd be asking what the best darn
chuck money can buy is, instead of whether or not the cheapest one
will work at all!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

The Oneway profiled jaws have a fantastic grip. Runout is virtually zero.
Quality materials; I have never heard of anybody wearing one out. Much
easier to remount a bowl and have it run true or close to it compared to the
cheapie. Uses inserts for different spindle sizes which is handy if you
upgrade or even if you have two lathes. Changeable jaws available in
different sizes and styles. These benefits are available with other top
quality chucks.

Billh