Pete C.

Travels are about 23" x 23" x 10". It's nice enough for my first one,
but I've already got plenty of ideas for improvements and this one isn't
even 100% complete yet. Somehow a welded steel frame looks very
"polished" once you slap some paint on it.

I actually went with welded steel construction because it gives good
rigidity without excess weight (MDF weighs a ton) and it can also be
cheaper since it does not require nearly as many fasteners. The steel
stock averages about $0.50/foot when you buy in full 24' sticks from a
"real" steel supplier, about 1/5 of the cost of HD or Lowe's. The actual
machine probably weighs less than 50#. It uses mostly 1/2", 3/4" and 1"
square 14ga tubing.

One of the things I wanted in the design was the ability to work on
large surfaces. Having a rigid steel frame with an open bottom and
enough Z travel allows me to remove the machine from it's normal
worktable and clamp it directly on top of a large item such as a full
sheet of MDF and work it in 2x2 sections. One of the project ideas I
have for it involves drilling a unique pattern of holes on a 4x8 sheet
of masonite.

The normal worktable has a raised platform to bring the typical work
closer to the gantry for improved rigidity. Even in this configuration
it has a clear through path front to back so I could work a 2'x10' sign
in sections.

I need to add felt wipers for the "ways" to help keep dust from getting
caked on the guide bearings, and an enclosure to keep dust from getting
everywhere else. I'm still learning the whole CAD - post processor - CNC
controller thing, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Pete C.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

DAMN! That is a really nice rig. What kind of capacity do you have?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Pete C." wrote I'd recommend Mach3. I just built a
small router myself and tried EMC
and Mach2/3. I didn't spend much time testing the other options as EMC
was free and Mach2/3 pretty well blew everything else away. At $150 for
a very generous license it's pretty much a no-brainer.

I'm using the HobbyCNC.com 4AUPC kit with the 200oz steppers. Nice kit,
good price and works well in the 1/8 microstepping mode. I'm using a
beefy 24v power supply from Surpluscenter.com.

Pic in the dropbox: http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/CNC_Router.JPG

Pete C.