Glenn Ashmore

It is a gear head square column Rong Fu 45 knockoff with a tilting head. I
have it trammed dead on side to side but can't figure out how to adjust
front to back without shimming the column or the head which would be a real
PITA.

Normally it is not much of a problem but I need to flycut the face of some
6" aluminum plate and it makes the edge of each pass a tiny bit off.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"d.dixson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Glen,

Depends on the brand of Mill/Drill you have. Most of the larger
versions that I have worked with (those with columns that are bigger
than 4 1/2" in diameter) have a tapered gib. The screw is in a slot so
that you can drive the wedge in or pull it out. The slot in the gib is
larger than the screw head, typically. I just helped a buddy change
this on his so he has opposing screws at each end of the gibs. Like on
most quality lathes. Otherwise, you'll see the gib move back and forth
when you move the slide. Not a lot, but enough that you can feel a
difference in drag (on my buddy's machine).

What do you mean by you are are out by .001 front to back? Is this a
tram measurement? Or do you see this measurement when you move the
table?

Hope this helps in some way,

Doug