Asimov

"rutman" bravely wrote to "All" (12 May 05 04:20:22)
--- on the heady topic of "Noob question. How do you check a resistor?"

ru From: rutman
ru Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:47927

ru this is very noobie question, please accept my apologies in advance.

ru Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to check for resistor
ru functionality?

ru I pulled the resistor and theres no writting on it other than R10.

ru Its an inline resistor.

ru I think it is defective as it got overly warm.

ru please advise.

Hi, noobie! ;-)

If the resistor let the smoke out then it was overly warm. If it still
looks intact then it is likely still good. Resistance is easily
measured with a dmm's ohm-meter range. I'm curious what that resistor
was used for? Resistors with wire terminal don't often have writing on
them, just a colour code. Surface mount types sometimes have writing.

A*s*i*m*o*v

(resistor colour code
(black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, white)
( 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )

(resistor colour code nmemonic

.... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.