Arch

My past comments were about denting _cast iron_ tool rests with HSS. I
just tried an oak toolrest, but it dented as easily as cast iron. I'm
going back to steel or steel reinforced rests. Best for using hard
tools held in ham fists.

Actually, avoiding dents in a wooden rest might be a good way for
learning to make gentle cuts that in the end probably get things done
quicker. Aggressive tooling is quick and has a certain satisfaction, but
do we pay a price later by having to correct a damaged surface?

Further OT, but I'm sure Roy doesn't mind, I have a question about final
tooling. It's said that a final surface gently scraped with sharp tools
might look and feel better than if cut, but scraped fibers make it much
more difficult to get a good sanded finish. What's yall's experience?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter