Kevin

As has been mentioned there are several types. I found some in a parking
lot at our local Sam's Club. (free wood = good wood) about 10" dia and 30"
in length.. It was very well dried. Keep your tools sharp (you do that
anyway, right?) as the wood I got was rather soft. You may wish to wear some
dust mask cause the dust is rather fine when sanding. Very beautiful when
finished. I particuarly liked the bits of yellow that came through. Wish I
had some more.

"riverrat" wrote in message
nk.net...
as a newbie to turning (i've been turning about 6 months) a friend gave me
some cedar log approx. 4" to 6" diameter and 3' lengths. Is there anything
to be watchful of when turning cedar? Most of what i've turned are small
weed pots just for practice with w/the tools and some pens from kits from
PSI. I would appreciate any and all advise.
Thank you in advance.
George Klein
ps I'm turning on a small Wilton Mini lathe