carl mciver wrote:
"Bruce B" wrote in message
| I was installing a receiver hitch and the bolt holes didn't quite

line
| up. The retailer advised me to check the alignment of the brackets

that
| bolt on to the frame and the passenger side bracket was bent in a
| little. So with some effort I managed to bend it back mostly

straight
| and get the hitch installed. My question is would this minor

bending
| weaken the metal or the welded joints? It's a Draw-Tite hitch and I
| think it's 1/4" plate steel brackets. How much can you bend

something
| like that without negatively affecting the structural properties?
|
| TIA

That concerns me that you, with effort, could bend a hitch frame.
However, whether or not that's a bad thing depends on how much of

what you
bent, or preloaded, is in the critical load path.

He said he said he "managed to bend it back mostly straight".
He didn't mention the use of heat, so I would guess there was no loss
of any heat treatment related strength in the metal itself. It depends
on the bracket and its design, stresses, etc.
elastic limit when bent, and again when straightened... there is a
theoretical weakening, but I'd guess it is unlikely to be of any
practical consequence. As to the welds; they're usually (should be)
stronger than the parent metal, so you should have even less chance of
weakening the weld area.