Mark D. Zacharias

I'm working on a Pioneer VSX-454 that has a shorted 2SA1302/2SC3281
output pair. I've been reading that there is a big problem with
counterfeits of these transistors. Does anyone who does a lot of
audio repairs have either 1: a reliable source for these transistors,
or 2: good substitute part numbers?

Pioneer has them, but they want $18 for the 2SA and $16 for the 2SC.
This would make the repair too expensive, since these (and the bias
transistor) blew while bench testing after fixing the original fault.

Mike
WB2ME

The new Toshiba replacements are 2SC5200 and 2SA1943.

The most reliable source I know of is B & D Enterprises. You can Google
Bdent.com for their phone number.

The newer Toshiba numbers are also being counterfeited. MCM sells
replacements for the 1302 and 3281, same as Pioneers', made by Onsemi using
Motorola jigs, which Motorola had previously got from Toshiba, so the story
goes.

Mark Z.