DoN. Nichols

In article ,
artfulbodger wrote:
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

I've never invested in a high precision level, either. I use a Starrett
model 98, likely the 8" level of which you spoke.

Yep, that's the one. Pretty li'l thing and way more precise than the
carpenter's levels I was used to.

Yes -- but you would be amazed at how much more sensitive the
No. 199 "Master Precision" level is. Starrett certifies it to be 0.0005"
in 12" per division. They don't even make any statements about
approximate accuracy for the No. 98. (I have examples of both -- not
bought at new prices in either case, and I know which I would use
(and did use) for initial leveling of the lathe bed.)

I put a 1-2-3 block on each of the flat ways, and put the level
across those, since the Clausing has one V and one flat for the front
way and one of each for the back way. (I never checked whether the
narrow flats on top of the Vs was also parallel to that surface.

You might be surprised to find that you can't get your machine properly
leveled, even with a metal bench. All depends on how rigid the bench is, and
how rigid the lathe bed is.

True. I really don't know how rigid the lathe is: I don't know what
to compare it to. It's a benchtop unit, a SB 9" long bed. At the
time it was made, it was way more rigid than other lathes in its
class. I don't know how noodly it is next to a new lathe of its
size. I do know it's juuuust a bit more flexy than some two ton
Hardinge. Oh, well. Carefully set up, it's neither too worn nor too
wobbly to cut straight.

With the No. 199 level, you can see a change when you rest your
hand on the headstock of my 12x24" Clausing, and I understand that even
a Hardinge shows a shift. It is amazing how flexible a lathe bed can
be.

As for the bench, we'll see. I'm about one step away from pouring a
couple of concrete pillars and mounting the lathe on them. THAT
would settle a thing or two.

Yep!

Good to see you back.

Thanks. It's nice when, for at least a while, life settles down
somewhat. Finally I get to do something about all those castings in
the garage. They've been looknig so forlorn.

They simply are now properly seasoned. I believe that is a
requirement for any kit castings -- that they must season under the
workbench for some years. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564