mac davis

On Wed, 11 May 2005 05:10:30 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

On 10 May 2005 22:22:41 -0700, wrote:

I have the Vivmarc also with a couple of other jaw sets. I have never
handed that chuck to anyone in the club that hasn't been throughly
impressed with the obvious quality. After they used it, they like it
even more.

I am on the side of spending all you can reasonably afford on your
chuck. Mine works fine on my Jet mini, and I have used the living hell
out if it. However, it is stout enough that when my Nova is back up in
the shop I will certainly use it on that lathe, too.

I think if you use a really good chuck you will not only appreciate it
more, but you will probably have that chuck in use on your lathe for a
lifetime.

Robert

Thanks for the advice from all of you guys! Of course, I should have
expected the get the best philosophy to be true here just like it is
with any tool. I think I'm going to try out the Grizzly for the
summer, and then upgrade to a nicer model as soon as I've got some of
the other tools I need to upgrade first in the shop.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

As to tommy bars.. I have no idea either.. one of the reasons that I picker the
oneway Talon was that it uses a large chuck key... and I already know how to use
one of those and how not to abuse it.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing