Erik G

Default Looking for help honing carbide inserts

Hello,

The shop that I work at has special order carbide inserts, and due to
heavy feed to speed ratios on our machines, we have found it necessary
to hone the inserts. To keep them in tolerance (.002 hone) we have put
them in a tumbler with some stones and silicon carbide sludge... this
method because its worked for us on lighter hones. This time though,
the inserts are all chipping to hell! I tried putting even one piece
at a time to fix it in case they were bumping each other, no help.

Now I am getting the blame from my boss, and whether it is somehow my
fault or not, getting the blame is just unacceptable.

Any advice from those experienced in honing carbide??

Thanks,
Erik