BigWallop

"Lee" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message

Thanks. I should have added that the intention is to try to give a good
flat surface for tiling to a poorly rendered (sand and cement) internal
brick wall.

How thick would the plaster have to be? A layer of 9 mm plasterboard

glued
to the bad render, then skimmed over with finish, wouldn't take that

long to
dry out enough to tile on top of. It would also give a nice flat

surface,
and make the tiling easier to do.

If I knock off the high spots and fill the missing chunks then I could
probably get away with 10mm or so, but the main problem is that the room
cannot be out of use for too long...
Making the tiling easier and looking nice is the main object of course

Is tiled plasterboard reasonably water resistant if stuck to a solid
wall? One wall will have a bath/shower against it, so it will get

splashed.

Lee

Plasterboard is OK, yes, and as long as the bottom edges of the tiles are
fitted with those plastic sealant strips that go under the bottom row of
tiles, then yes, it should be OK for many years.

You should get a good quality grout for a bathroom anyway, and then you will
have no problems at all.

A good method of belt and braces, is to squirt some silicone sealant along
the bottom edge of the plasterboard and the edge of the bath / shower tray.
Then place the plastic sealant strip on top of it while it's still soft.
Then stick your tiles on top of the strip. The rest of the little spaces
can be sealed with the grout and a touch of silicone, if needed, once
everything else is in place.