Pedge

Default Shiny Chipboard - can it be painted?

I've just had my kitchen installed where there were some left over bits of
shiny faced chipboard used as off cuts.

With this oak coloured shiny chipboard the carpenter cut some of it so that
I can box in some pipes. One of them had said that I can rough the surface
a bit with sandpaper and then paint it.

I'm currently doing this with coarse sand paper but how rough does it have
to be? Do I have to seal it with PVA, use a wood primer/undercoat first and
then use the kitchen emulsion paint that I am wanting to use?

All in all is this a good idea or is best not to use this type of material
if I want it painted?

TIA