alexy

"George" george@least wrote:

"A Dubya" wrote in message
A couple of good ones to start off with might be Leonard Lee's sharpening
book, Earnest Joyce' s Encyclopaedia of woodworking, Yeung Chan's joinery
book (hand and machine), Krenov's Impractical cabinet maker, David
Charlesworth has a couple that are pretty good that deal with
tools/design/joinery....good luck. I don't think there's any one book

that
covers everything....

With the exception of Joyce, too esoteric. The basics as in Fierer are what
you need to begin with.

My recommendation, go to the nearest used book store, the hobby section, and
pick up the one that's not quite fully a mystery to you. Or, since a lot of
"project" books pad with techniques and general principles, you could start
there.

I'll add another vote for Feirer, with the caveat, well-stated in
this thread elsewhere and acknowledged by the OP, that no book does it
all. Feirer was the first book I got, and it is good for lot of basic
principles. After learning those principles, I find I seldom go to it
any more. The title of the book, _Cabinetmaking and Millwork_, should
tell you that it is not for everyone. I found it much too oriented to
production work. Probably unbeatable (if a little dated) for an
industrial arts curriculum, but books aimed at hobbyists and
[would-be] artisans are of more relevance to the work I [want to] do.