I don't mind the despot. As others have mentioned they are great for nails
and cable and quickie supplies etc.

I don't buy power tools from them.

I had forgotten to include an air compressor on a recent order when
purchasing tools for a bunch of construction I have to do around here. I
headed down to the despot to pick one up figuring it's just an air
compressor. Looked at what they had and picked one that was a bit bigger
than I wanted but was the closest fit. They had the display model, bolted
to a turntable type thing. They had one completely in the open, no box at
all. They had one in an open box. I asked one of the clerks to confirm
that the one in the open box had everything that came with it. (Getting
that clerk took about 10 minutes) His reply: How should I know? He also
made a comment (somewhat under his breath) that this is the way that large
retail hardware/lumber outlets operate.

I thanked him and left.

One the flip side of the despot I recently ordered a bunch of kitchen
cabinets from them. I had substantially done the design but the kitchen
design consultant that I worked with there was as good as anyone I've ever
worked with. Knew her software, knew her cabinetry, was a pleasure to work
with. Same thing goes for the guy I ordered some doors from.

And as one more flip side I recently needed a spade wrench. They have these
behind locked bars. The plumbing guy was helping out an older lady trying
to replumb her sink or something. It probably would have been quicker if he
had just gone to her house and done the job. I'm standing there waiting for
a point where I can politely break in... and waiting.. and waiting...
Finally I just interrupted and said look.. I need a tool that's locked up..
can you just take 15 seconds and get it for me. Yeah.. he can do that. He
walks over to the disply.. gives the bars a tug and slips his hand up
underneath and grabs the wrench. Sneering at me while he's doing it... as
if I'm too much on an idiot to figure out how to defeat their anti-theft
display. Somehow I think that if that same clerk had caught me doing that
I'd of been asked wtf I was doing.

So, like most places it has it's good points and it's bad points, and the
people involved have a lot to do with making them one way or another.

ml