Heathcliff

dean wrote:
Thanks all - the replies are all great! I appreciate them all.

I want to ask though: when you say "Tape and mud", doesn't the tape
stick out by its thickness, thereby preventing you from getting a

nice
flat join?

Dean

Yes, the tape and the mud are on top of the wallboard, so it's not
perfectly flat. Done well, spreading the slope very gradually over a
wide area, it can be quite inconspicuous, and basically it will not be
noticed. Especially with flat paint. One must resist the impulse to
look for the lump, or to point it out to visitors!

Another option is to put a wood rosette or some such over the hole,
which would cover the hole and serve as a striker for the doorknob. I
have seen that in some places, although I haven't tried it myself. I
suppose you could just glue the sucker on.