Guy Dawson

Lobster wrote:
I just tried to send back a faulty dimmer switch to Screwfix; supplied
last November as a replacement when the previous one failed. They
declined on the basis that the original purchase was in Feb 2004, ie
more than 12 months ago.

I'm not unduly concerned given the low value of the item, but am still
interested on a point of principle... some weeks ago this was discussed
he if something comes with a 12-month warranty and is replaced, I'm
sure a couple of folk reckoned that the 12-month "clock" restarted with
the supply of the new item. Is that definitely the case?

I'd say it's definitely NOT the case. The clock starts with the original
purchase and ends when the warranty period ends. Otherwise there would
be instances of replacements 'failing' every 11 months leading to an
eternal supply of new replacements.

As I say, not particularly fussed about a £5 dimmer, but I would have
been seriously ****ed off if this had been, say, an expensive power tool.

There's the warranty as offered by the vendor and the expection that
something last a reasonable time as provided for by the Sale of Goods
act. It's reasonable to expect a durable item to last longer than 12
months but just you try getting a shop or retailer to agree. Tyically
you have to go to court...

Guy
Guy Dawson @ SMTP - // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4