lionslair at consolidated dot net

Tom Miller wrote:

In the 40's ? - How about the 60's! and early 70's. Not until computers
and calculators were able and willing to go above a slide rule ability.

We always did approximations and had some basic rules that allowed

truncation

or adding another variable ...

Martin [ who was in the workplace for several years when he bought a $600

4 banger

with memory, 12 digits and up to 4 of them below the decimal. I did log

and trig

by approximation routines. Some of which came out in EDN or Electronics

during the time.

Then TI and HP began to make calculators.

Martin

Anyone remember the mechanical calculators made by Singer Sewing Machine
Company. If you divided by zero, the only way to stop them was to unplug
them.

The Engineers - (Title ? -- did buildings, roads, Water tanks, everything) had some when
I was in high school. We spent a day there on job interviews - found it to be a ugh job
where 'blue prints' and the brown Van Dykes were state of the art. That end of the room
was foreign smelling to most of us young people. I decided to become the news photographer
when the pro was busy or off.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn