jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Go get a copy of "How to Run a Lathe" from south bend, and perform
their two collar test. It's all you need to do, and takes
nothing besides a micrometer and a piece of stock in the chuck.

Well and good, I'm sure, but *start* with a properly leveled machine so it
isn't leaning in any direction. While lathes will run fine out of level,
if you have yours established properly before you make any fine adjustments,
you will be able to rely on the machine being level for certain functions.
Chucking irregular objects in a 4 jaw, using a level for setup, for example.
The minor amount you may be out when you do your final tweaking would be far
better than to have it out a few degrees because you sought a straight cut
without concern for level setup.

Ever read that book Harold? I gave my copy away a few years ago or
I would sent it to you.

They say:

1) mount the machine to a solid, unmoving floor.

2) level it with a spirit level.

3) once this is done, then do the final arbiter check for
accuracy: the two collar method.

Interestingly if you read what Hardinge says about setting their
machines up, there is absolutely *no* mention of any kind of
spirit level.

Step one: Plunk the machine down on a solid floor. Step two: drop
down the tab inside the back cabinet so the machine doesn't tip.

Done.

Because of the ingenious hardinge kinematic mount for their
beds, a spirit level is not needed at all, nor is any bed
tweaking or leg shimming.

Jim

please reply to: