Sparks

"Lobster" wrote in message
I just tried to send back a faulty dimmer switch to Screwfix; supplied last
November as a replacement when the previous one failed. They declined on
the basis that the original purchase was in Feb 2004, ie more than 12
months ago.

I'm not unduly concerned given the low value of the item, but am still
interested on a point of principle... some weeks ago this was discussed
he if something comes with a 12-month warranty and is replaced, I'm
sure a couple of folk reckoned that the 12-month "clock" restarted with
the supply of the new item. Is that definitely the case?

Sounds standard practice to me, they warrent the purchace for 12 months, if
it is repaired or replaced within that period, then the "timer" won't be
reset.

As I say, not particularly fussed about a £5 dimmer, but I would have been
seriously ****ed off if this had been, say, an expensive power tool.

The warranty would still be valid for whatever period they stipulated before
purchase, so if the expensive power tool came with a 12 month warranty, then
failed after 12 months and 1 day, the warranty would not cover it.

You may have a case to claim from the supplier under the sale of goods act,
this is irrespective of any warranty :-)
www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

or more specifically have a look here
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0054-1111.txt
(http://tinyurl.com/2ovyu)

An example from that page is this...
Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about eighteen months ago, and the freezer
section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to
do anything as it was outside the original twelve-month guarantee. What are
my rights?

A. If the time limit has expired on the guarantee then you have no claim
under the guarantee. However, if you can show that the goods were not of
satisfactory quality at the time of sale i.e. they were not as durable as it
is reasonable to expect, then you may have a claim against the trader or
finance company (if applicable) for compensation under the Sale of Goods
Act.

Sparks...