Peter Grey

I'm far from a machining expert, but come from a automotive racing
background and over the last year or so have gotten into metalworking after
a number of years of futzing with other people's equipment. I have a couple
of thoughts.

I use my mill way more than my lathe for making race car and street car
bits. Without knowing what you want to make, I'm not suggesting you get a
mill first, but just giving you my experience. If you're serious about
making stuff for cars and bikes, you will want and need both and should plan
on it. You certainly have enough space (note the jealousy - I've got an 11'
by 17' garage into which I put my metalworking stuff and my current project
car).

Although I didn't know a tremendous amount about machine tools, I did know
what I wanted to make, and had enough experience to figure out for me which
should come first. In order for you to figure this out and get some idea of
where you'd like to head, I suggest you go to some machining/model
engineering/custom car or bike club meetings and talk to some folks that are
making stuff similar to what you'd like to make and get their take. If you
have a friend or acquaintance at a fab shop, I would suggest you take them
out to lunch and pick their brain. Maybe a library or Amazon would be a
good place to spend some time.

Regards,

Peter

"HotRod" wrote in message
As someone mentioned here they suggest a mill over a lathe. What are the
benefits of the one over the other? I'm I correct when I assume that mill
is a lot like a vertical drill press? I will be trying to get some
"professional" training but I prefer to have the tools first so I can
practice at home as I go.