artfulbodger

Gene Kearns wrote:

Much simpler would to be to use a precision level, parallel and gage
block(s) to level the lathe ways.

Yeah, but that won't do the whole job, will it? Or, let me rephrase:
leveling across the ways won't do the whole job, and I can't level
along the ways because, though I have a very good level, I don't have
anything I can really use as a parallel.

Next I would use a cylinder, turned between centers, that has a near
and far diameter of exactly the same diameter (the middle is not
necessarily important for a machine in good condition). Use this to
set the tailstock position.

Yes; tailstock's not a problem. I keep just such a bar handy, and
use it to reset the tailstock whenever I've set it over for some
reason. (Note that Rollie's Dad's method doesn't address the
tailstock at all. It's just to get the spindle & ways lined up.)

It seems the link's attempt is to correct mis-alignment between the
ways and the headstock by stuffing paper under the latter.... a poor
fix, at best.

I grant you, the business about paper is ridiculous. But I have
plenty of decent shim stock around.

It does not address levelness of the machine nor any
twist in the bed....

Now you've lost me. It doesn't address level, that's true; but it
seems that twist in the bed is precisely what it does address.

If you find vertical misalignment or that the headstock and/or
tailstock axes are no longer parallel with the ways.... rescraping is
in order.

BTDT. Fortunately the lathe doesn't need any scraping. The shaper
did, though. It took way too long, but the result was good and, God
help me, I had fun doing it. A lathe bed, OTOH, I'd rather not do.
I'd drink poison long before the job was done.

Thanks for your help. Curious to have your further comments on
Rollie's Dad's method vis a vis twist in the bed.

Pete

--
Artful Bodger
http://www.artfulbodger.net